Saturday, December 16, 2006

Movie Note: Barnyard

With a young daughter, I've been screening quite a few kids films lately. Most are terribly dissapointing (Dougal), and a few are surprisingly good (Hoodwinked).

All I have to say about Barnyard is that I'm udderly confused (to use an over-used pun). It has cows, all with udders. The leading cow and its adopted parent call each other men, and use the masculine pronouns to refer to each other. I was ready to just mark it off as confused writers who didn't know about bulls, but there is at least one bull in the film, maybe two.

So the only conclusion I can draw from this is that the film is about gender-confused cattle coming-of-age and trying to find their place in the world. Either that, or someone should tell the writers that, for ungulates, only the females nurse their young.

I'm not going to even touch the Freudian implications of grown cattle drinking milk.

No comments: