Wednesday, June 29, 2011

The Ulangar: Book III, Part 9

This continues Book III of the epic I wrote between 1991 and 1996.



Ulangar thought long and hard on these words

[

talks about training Adar in magic

]

The next sibling visited by god-forging Ulangar

was black hairéd Creusa

who said of her death

'That meddling Tuoni did not snatch me

nor was he man enough to ravish me

I slayed his minions bred of air

with blinding speed and stunning agility

Each one died by my swift stroke

but Tuoni fearful as he is

ran from our fight and left me to suffer in life'

Ulangar squinted and spake such words in response

'I inquire from you O sister from the now dead earth

a better description of your punishers

of the shapes of the minions

and of the faces of the ruler of the wretched land'

Creusa was long in her reply

attempting to resist memory's poison

and then she tried to reply

many times she attempted

and many times she failed to send her mental picture across the airs

but at last she did and such words erupted from her lips

'My memory is foggéd

for that night or dreary day was as a dream

it does not remain clear in memory long

I only remember of those minions a great blur

of wind and steel

but of Tuoni's haughty face I shant forget

his thick black mane and night beard

flapped to the whims of the four elements

and his wide grin exposed his icy gates

His laugh was like thunder which rips the sky in two

with energy surging from Anshar to Kishar

and his eyes yes his evil eyes

how they pierced my very soul

the fires grew within them

burned my inside and out in flames

colder and blacker than the lost secret of Blackflame

which burns metal and melts trees'

So amazed by the similarities with his own glimpse

of that towering Tuoni was Ulangar

that he could hardly utter a farewell suitable for his sister's rank

hardly

[

insert Inan's story

]

No comments: