Friday, July 1, 2011

The Ulangar: Book III, Part 10

This continues Book III of the epic I wrote between 1991 and 1996.



The crafter of Helethalain next visited the armory

where strong armed Nergal stood admiring the handiwork

of god-forging Ulangar

was not heard by this giant axe-man

and so using this secret he crept up and shoved

with a heave to move the mountains

in a failed attempt to knock the great brown-skinned man from his stance

Nergal rose his mouth in a great laugh that made the metal rattle

against the black marble stonework which encased the earth

and he spoke 'What is it little brother that you were trying to do

Did you mean to make me tumble to the cold floor

like a toddler tipped on the head

You may find me a greater opponent to wrestle to the earth

than Utgard-Loki's cat

and that my little brother is no boast

for never have I met a man who could pin me'

Ulangar rubbed his shoulder in the stinging place

and replied 'Aye so my things which see perceive

and aye again do my shoulder and muscles

that ache at the strain and force agree

you must teach me that trick some time

But enough with this idle chatter

for I wish to gain information on a different subject now

pertaining to the journey to Tuoni

and his curséd lands of eternal darkness'

Nergal settled his weight on a marble bench and nodded in agreement

'I know of that which you speak little one

for all of us siblings have been there and will be there

All the tales which you have heard already

are all you need to unravel the mystery'

Ulangar was taken back by these unforeseen words

'Why use these cryptic syllables Nergal

If you have something to say

than gird up your spirit and speak your mind

we need not keep'

Nergal halted this questioning with a raised index finger

'Why question my actions

we are one in mind snf dpitiy

sprouted from the same seed

I know all our thoughts

and all our feelings

It is just a simple matter of focus

perhaps you should try it some time

perhaps' At this Nergal the bald giant left the room

and left Ulangar speechless and puzzled

No comments: